During the recent lockdown, CRL was fortunate to be able to start a new project in the Area 10 Highways England region on Helsby Viaduct. This was made possible through CRL’s commitment to work diligently in line with government guidelines, enabling the works to continue safely, and even to accelerate top deck works to allow reopening of all lanes 4 months early.
CRL have undertaken Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) on the project with Highway England and other contractors to develop the access solution, temporary works and bearing replacement and the necessary Environment Agency discharge license. The solution was to design and implement a French drain system with a sump area to divert and control the water runoff from the hydro-demolition works to be processed by a silt buster.
Works carried out so far include;
- Installation of scaffold/access,
- Initial survey of the sill beam,
- Steel replacement,
- XP4 anode installation,
- Formwork installation & Concrete pour,
- Planning / milling / deck preparation,
- Repairs to bridge deck,
- Application of waterproofing,
- Removal & replacement of existing gullies, and
- Installation of combi safe system across the works including over a railway line.